Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Mary Kate and Ashley

As my friends know, I'm a little obsessed with these girls. When they first started at NYU, they had a class just down the hallway from my office. Everybody saw them and reported back that they were sweet, beautiful and tiny--ethereal beings. My friend Anna and I had initially confided our Olsen fascination in each other about two years prior to that, at a Feminism and TV conference. We agreed to meet outside their seminar room as their recitation for the Language of Film class was getting out, pretend to peruse a noticeboard, and get a look at the girls.

Of course, they were skipping class--something I later read about in US Weekly. And they skipped the next week too. I don't think they ever returned to the sixth floor of 721 Broadway. I missed them, the most egregiously when they sat outside my office during my office hour just outside my sightline. The grad student in the next office came by excitedly after I left--assuming I had seen them. Of course I had not.

Yesterday they were signing their Inspiration book at Barnes and Noble. I considered going--I assumed it was an evening event and I teach at 9 am so I wasn't sure I could fit it in. Evan thought I should reconsider, but I then discovered it wasn't a reading--as initially advertised--but a signing with a crazy list of 9 rules, including obligatory purchase of the book. As that $30 will be put towards sales tax on a Mayle purchase, I passed.

I'm still dreaming--literally dreaming--of Mayle's holiday collection. I've obsessed over certain dresses in the past--the black jeweled dress from holiday '07, Margarita and Mariya from fall '07, Lilly from Summer '08 and a blue dress whose name escapes me from spring '07. Rarely has there been a Mayle dress I lost--and I have always waited for the sales. Whether it is the beauty of this collection or the knowledge it will be among her last, I'm seriously considering stumping out full price for a couple of these items. The last time I did that was for a pair of her chambray blue clogs (fall '06, I believe) from her last season of shoes. Those sold out in my size the day they came in--I was called, went, purchased (with Chris in tow, as always seems to be the case with really big purchases). Those were $440, and the economy was better. I'm hoping that I don't have to do that with her holiday line--after all, there is also resort, and I want to get as much Mayle as I can while it is still available, including those old pieces that slipped through that may occasionally appear on ebay.

3 comments:

erica said...

i'm oddly fascinated by them, too. at 5'5", i'm sure even i would look huge next to them.

i can't remember if bird charged me sales tax last time i did a phone order, sometimes shops don't. i wonder if louis will be carrying more mayle this year. their offerings were slim when i dropped by last month, and not even grouped together like it used to be. sigh.

oh yes, the margarita was lovely! i'm trying my hardest to set a spending limit for mayle, especially knowing that some of these pieces are bound to show up on ebay.

it's been a while since i've paid full price for a big ticket item. there's something sublimely ridiculous about spending the same amount for a dress as for my plane ticket to Paris!

Moya said...

I know! I go home to England every Christmas and my tickets usually run about $700 (it used to be $350), so to turn that over for a dress makes me feel guilty.

Bird shouldn't charge you sales tax--nor should Mayle--as they have no out of state outlets. People from NJ often have stuff shipped to them when they shop in NYC as it is cheaper to eat the shipping than the sales tax.

erica said...

i don't know which mayle coat you were hoping to get this season, but jake has the ludovine in an 8 for $540 right now: http://www.shopjake.com/index.php?page=shop/product&parent=&product_ID=3578&size=8

i still need to call mayle about the thea dress....argh!