Monday, October 13, 2008

Madonna and more Stereolab

It has certainly been a crazy week for concerts. Madonna made it three in less than ten days--all the more dizzying when combined with the cold/flu virus that knocked me down for the week. After window-shopping with Chris on Saturday (I avoided all my haunts as I don't want to be tempted), we made our way to MSG where we had surprisingly amazing seats. Even though we got the cheapest tickets possible, we were near the front--just four flights up--and were right by stage left.

The concert was great--the company even better--although too many new songs and unimaginative greatest hits (interestingly this would be similar to my sole complaint about Stereolab, although Chemical Chords is infinitely better than Madonna's new album). For 50, she is amazing--jumping rope, dancing in her barely there leotard. Hell, for 20, she'd be in great shape. All in all, a great night, but not transcendent like Stereolab (who were not as transcendent either as they were when I saw them in 2000 in Pittsburgh, but I digress).

Whenever I see Stereolab, I love them more. I listen to them constantly and want to find new music. When you've been a huge fan of a band--as I have with them--since 1992-3, there isn't much new to find. I've lost a few items--the Turn On side project, for instance, and a couple of 7 inch singles, but I really got to a point when I thought that was it. Then last night, Evan presented me with the Japanese edition of Chemical Chords--the three extra tracks are among their best. So I had those, the tour 7 inch I got last week. And then I decided to search myself, only to find the 1999 The Underground is Coming ep. Not only do I have more Stereolab, but it is incredibly good--and it features Mary Hansen (RIP) and comes from to my mind, their greatest period--the Dots and Loops/Cobra/Microbe Hunters Chicago-era. I doubt I'll ever find this much of their stuff that I didn't previously own again, at least without a new album/compliation release.

No comments: