Thursday, October 23, 2008

Exhausted


I've just had a whirlwind week. Besides the large pile of midterms, the book editing and the job applications that I have to get in the mail this week, I went to North Carolina to give a talk at my friend Amanda's university. Last Friday I flew out, and returned at the crack of dawn on Tuesday, taught my three classes yesterday and now have to do the bulk of the week's work today.

It was great to get out of town nonetheless. I love NYC and would hate to live elsewhere but a change was nearly as good as a rest. Amanda has an enormous and beautiful house and a lovely family, including a beautiful two year old daughter, so it was a radical change of pace. I got a fair amount of work done, worked out Sunday, and came back hopefully ready to finish all the work at hand.

All this has meant no shopping. I went into Bird on the way home from JFK and the Mayle coat I love fits me in a 6, so a 6, 8, or even 10 will work if and when it goes on sale. This is a frustrating time of the year. The weather has turned so the fall clothes can be worn now, but they are not yet reduced. I'm just hoping that the credit crunch lets me get the Mayle I want for at least 60% off as I can't afford it at full price. If only it wasn't the last season--I suspect many other customers feel the same as me and I dread the rush and adrenaline that marks the sale period. I was a good girl and resisted the 40% off Mayle pre-fall last week. Even though I want the blue Ebba dress, I'm going to wait until it is 60% off or more or skip it entirely.

Above photo courtesy of Nicholas Thigpen, staff photographer of the East Carolinan--my friend Amanda is on the left, I'm on the right looking pensive in Mayle's Pina dress (resort '08) and a gap cardigan.

1 comment:

erica said...

so great to see you in mayle in real life! sounds like you're even busier than me. the economy nosedive hasn't really hurt me, but receiving a friendly newsletter from social security about its impending bankruptcy is always sobering!