Tuesday, August 23, 2011

So we had an earthquake

Or at least, that's what I was told. I went into Gallatin for a student colloquium today--the oral exam or conversation on a student's concentration that marks the end of their degree. This one was particularly fine--great student with a great topic (melancholy and romanticism) and a great committee. She also bought macarons, madeleines, strawberries and champagne grapes which I ate--colloquium food, like travel food, doesn't count.

After that, acupuncture. And supposedly the earthquake tremors--which I didn't feel. I must have been on the table or writing a check when it struck, or maybe I was walking down 17th Street, but I did see a bunch of people outside an office building--my immediate thought was sample sale (but the location didn't fit) or maybe some celebrity was signing something. It was only when I got home that I heard we reportedly had an earthquake.

I've never lived in LA or any earthquake prone area but the very fact that the subway was working perfectly and there were no delays on the LIRR or Metro North--as there are when we have a major rain storm--makes me amazed at the fuss the media here and globally are making over this event. Maybe some people felt something but I can only imagine from the people I saw and from my own experience that as far as NYC goes, this was truly a lot of fuss over nothing.

No comments: