Friday, March 26, 2010

Lovely but pricey

When I saw the new Lyell early spring lookbook, one item leapt out at me--a pale green sweater. It wasn't the most thrilling garment ever but had a sweetness about it that I liked. I could see pairing it with many wardrobe staples, including my lovely plum Lyell gathered skirt from Fall 09. Then I saw the prices on Refinery 29 shops. At $575 (which would be another $50 with tax), this sweater is inexplicably expensive. It's made of bamboo, not cashmere. It doesn't appear to be hand knit. It's nice but not that nice--for that price I could get a winter coat/new Mayle dress if one ever reappeared and Jane set up shop again/winter boots.

There's no real decoraton on the front either. I love the vintage look. but realistically, this is a piece for spring and fall--one of which is unpredictable in NYC, the other far away. If it was even $300, I'd consider it, but much as I like Emma and her work, this pricing is way out of wack.
ADDENDUM: Refinery 29 must have made an error--it's $260. Of course, the 20% discount they had was only valid when this sweater was marked at $575. Had it been correctly labeled, I'd have picked it up then. Oh well.

1 comment:

joyce said...

Well, that's annoying. Did you know the coupon applied to in-store item as well? I bet if you called the shop they would let you have the discount. Worth a shot?

A little bird told me that Refinery29 doesn't always coordinate very well with the stores it features on the shopping site.