Friday, September 25, 2009

From Cindy: Adventures in Franken-Mayle: yes, I DYE!

Here is the promised guest post. Thank you Cindy. I just wish Jane had made these dresses in the colors you chose.

Over to Cindy:

Upon scanning the Mayle Spring 2008 lookbook, I swooned.  Mexican funeral!  Flowers everywhere!  After a second pass, I begin to feel pangs of dismay – the book was full of covetable pieces, mostly in ivory.  Frankly, I fear wearing all-white ensembles because I thoroughly enjoy eating and sitting.  Notwithstanding, I purchased the Adela dress and the Bibi dress, convinced I would wear these beautiful pieces bravely.    





After languishing in my closet months later, tags and all, I decided to finally take the plunge and explore dyeing.  I fantasized about the dresses’ Franken-Mayle potential – how would ochre and plum silks look with enamel buttons?  

I wrote to Ms. Mayle, seeking dyeing advice for my Spring 2008 ivory silks.  Would the dresses shrink?  How would they dye?  She wrote:
“Hi Cindy-
I know that the dresses are made from sand washed spun silk and that the silk was dyed before construction.  I don’t think the dresses should shrink significantly when dyed but I’m not sure what the content is for the thread and I worry that it might be poly in which case, it wouldn’t dye with the rest of the dress, resulting in contrast color stitching. 
All the best with your dyeing adventures!
Jane”
Based on the fact that I didn’t really understand most of Jane’s e-mail, I decided immediately that DIY was out of my league.    

With a little googling, I learned that silk is a protein fiber that takes up dye beautifully.  The dyeing process varies depending on the type of silk and how the silk was pre-treated.  Dresses, however, are constructed with many other materials that are not dye-friendly – in particular, synthetic threads and linings, along with other un-dyeable details.  Mayle, fortunately, constructs most garments with silk linings, which eliminated the possibility that the lining would shrink disproportionately compared to the outer layer (positively horrifying). 

During my internet searches, I only found a handful of places willing to do “individual garment” dyeing.  I chose Metro Dyeing for the following reasons: 1) they had a write-up in New York Magazine; 2) the business was conveniently located in the Manhattan garment district; 3) the cost per dyed garment was $50; and 4) upon e-mailing, they agreed to let me unburden my dyeing neuroses in person.  Their website:

http://www.sampledyeingny.com/about.php
(They have a great “before and after” section where they feature Courtney Love’s dyed stage costumes.  Very reassuring!)

Craig, my friendly and helpful contact at Metro Dyeing, made me realize quickly that dyeing is not for the faint of heart.  The maximum shrinkage rate for a silk garment is approximately 4%.  If you’ve dry-cleaned the garment, the dye may settle unevenly.  The details on the dress would be affected by the agitation process.  The synthetic materials (like the bib on Bibi) would not dye the same color as the rest of the dress but would pick up some dye if there was some organic material in it (like the cotton in the bib).  Even color choice can be minefield – yellows and greens are unpredictable and require harsher dyeing processes and temperatures; purples and blues are easier.  Dyeing any garment black would require multiple passes and a true black was not guaranteed.    
But there were plenty of positives – Craig and his team are fabric dyeing professionals and would work with me during the dyeing process until I got the color I required (at no extra charge!).  He told me that the dyes were safe for sensitive skin, would not be affected by dry cleaning, and ultimately, he reminded me that I wouldn’t wear the ivory pieces as much the dyed pieces. 

I settled on a dusky purpley plum for Adela and a navy blue for Bibi.  Here are the intermediate results, post-work up, about three weeks after the first dye:



 

 

 

 





Upon viewing the dresses within the first 24 hours post-dye, I wished Craig hadn’t let me come up for a peek.  The results were terrifying.  The dresses felt like dried paper mache.  Most of the detailing – hems, straps, buttons - needed mending.  The synthetic threads and bib had taken up little or no dye.  But at least the dresses hadn’t shrunk much.  They had shrunk proportionately, perhaps by less than 2% total.  Craig suggested steaming the garments.  After about a week and two steamings, the sandwashed softness of the silk returned.

Encouraged, I searched for appropriate final touches for my dyed pieces.  To re-color the bib and obvious contrast threads, I turned to Dharma Trading Company (http://www.dharmatrading.com/) and purchased colorfast, dry-cleaning safe fabric markers that didn’t require special “settings” (i.e., ironing).




I found mother-of-pearl and brass buttons to replace the original peach buttons on Adela (thank you, Moya!) and asked my tailor to replace the white zipper on the navy and black Bibi with a black zipper.  With mended hems and re-sewn details, button and zipper replacements, and painstakingly hand-colored contrast threading, here are the final results, almost two months after I sent my garments to Metro Dyeing:



 

 

 



Voila, that concludes my Franken-Mayleing!  I am very pleased with the final dresses and I have loved giving my personal touches to these pieces.  I hope you enjoy the pictures and find that this post encourages you to consider dyeing (with all kinds of caveats!).  I pass this along to you as Jane wrote to me, “All the best with your dyeing adventures!”

11 comments:

Marti said...

Cindy, I always thought about dying things but was always way too scared. Your pieces came out amazing, and offer a lot of hope for any of us with a light colored Mayle dress!!! The bibi looks especially very special. thank you for sharing!

lorochills said...

i love the way the bibi came out.. i also think the adela is great.. nice adventure..i have some ivory blouses frommayle that i am not thinking about taking the plunge

Biscuit said...

thank you for posting this cindy (and moya)! it really isn't for the faint of heart. the bibi looks great; so the bib did take the dye after all? i may do the same with my bibi. adela i am not so sure about, as it is a 0 and i'm not sure i can afford for it to shrink at all. but i love the color you chose!

Biscuit said...

sorry, to clarify- i know you said in your post that the bib didn't take the dye much at all, but in the intermediate picture it looks almost black? thanks!

C L said...

This is an awesome post.
Thanks Cindy & Moya.
love how both dress turned out, they look so special.
I have a dress I really want to dye but I think I need to check the fabric first.
I thought it's very simple to dye it black but I guess it's not!

C L said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Moya said...

I know Cindy dyed the bib herself with the fabric markers. It didn't take all the dye from the original treatment.

joyce said...

i am so impressed! the adela looks especially lovely -- what a great color you chose....

LivKate said...

They do look great, but I have to add that the Adela (I did not get to the see the Bibi) looked even prettier in person. The pictures do not capture how lovely the color truly is. I am really inspired!

Christina said...

Love the choice of colors you made! The effort was definitely worthwhile as I can see you getting more wear out of these two dresses. At least you won't run into someone else wearing the same exact dress!

Cindy said...

Thank you so much for the kind comments!

Yoon/Loretta - you should dye your pieces if they are a little on the big side and don't have major details. Also, imagine all the bits that might not dye and how you'd have to manage it.

Susie - I would agree re adela - if it just fits you, it will not fit you in all likelihood after the dyeing process. My size 6 dress (v. TTS in that style) fit like a 4 afterward. Re bibi - if you see the picture with the zipper in the intermediate phase, you'll see the bib dyed to an especially vile shade of baby blue (hate that color). I used fabric markers because of the color that was already on the bib and I didn't want to "lose control" over the dyeing if I had used some other chemical process.

(Julie is the beautiful model in the picture - thanks so much for being willing to be in the post!)