Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Definitely back to work...

It's 9.28 p.m. and I've just finished work for the day (mostly). The craziness of the semester just landed on me and I feel swamped. I wrote one syllabus, one lecture, edited two semesters' worth of lectures for two classes and printed them all up, sorted out screenings for tomorrow, and looked for some old lecture notes. That took time. I thought they'd be on a zip disc, but when you have just moved, those are the kind of things that aren't close at hand. I discovered two were missing (along with a gold locket), and those would be the ones with the files I needed. I searched high and low, didn't find them, but then remembered my old orange ibook under the bed. It had most of the files I needed but two lectures are still missing. This is a course I swapped with a colleague who had a scheduling issue so I don't want to have to prep it from scratch, especially when I have taught something identical elsewhere.

On another note, I wish I was a size 4. Not for the usual reasons, but because so many great items in size 4 have been on ebay recently and gone for a song. There is at least one bidder who has infinitely deep pockets and bids up all the size 8s, or so it seems. Few 8s and 10s appear anyway, so there's just less to buy and more to pay.

I've also had some problems with ebay recently. An item I bought two weeks ago never arrived and the seller has not responded to any emails. Alas, I think I have to take this one up with ebay.

On a good note: Tana arrived, fits perfectly and is so lovely. I am thrilled with it. As soon as we have time, Evan will take pictures.

6 comments:

erica said...

Ugh, I'm constantly losing files! Matthew has to surreptitiously back up my files when I'm not using the laptop. I hope those two lectures reappear miraculously.

So glad to hear that the Tana worked out. I would be fuming if an ebay package never arrived. Hopefully you can get it sorted out without too much hassle.

Definitely back to work for me, too, alas.

Christina said...

Hope you find those lectures asap!! I wish the school could afford to provide you with a TA to ease the stress. Surely, you can't be pulling these 12hr shifts on a regular basis.

Did you buy insurance on your ebay purchase? I bought something (well over $100) via ebay over a year ago and it never arrived. I didn't buy insurance but got delivery confirmation. My regular postman was on vacation but had a feeling the fill in postman delivered it to the wrong address. The seller wouldn't refund and back then paypal didn't have the coverage they provide now for loss. I learned my lesson. Buy insurance especially if it's something you consider to be priceless or irreplaceable.

Glad you got tana! Because it's so short, I only dare wear flats with mine. I'm not a footless leggings kinda girl but maybe I'll have to invest in a pair.

Moya said...

I didn't get insurance--I'd never had a problem and wasn't even thinking. The seller hasn't been good--I've sent her five emails and she's ignored all of them. She could be on vacation but I think I'm going to have to contact my credit card. I learned a lesson that's for sure. Ebay said that they may cover me (credit card through Paypal) but of course, it's the frustration of not getting something, as well as the bizarre way the seller is acting. I want to give her the benefit of the doubt (late package for some bizarre reason to do with the post office/UPS/etc.), but I wish she'd just send me an email back.

Tana isn't too bad on me lengthwise (I think the 10 ran a bit longer). I can only imagine how short Josefina is at 4 inches shorter!

I wish the school could help. I'm pulling 12 hour days 6-7 days a week right now. Hopefully I can get things done and it will ease up but the fact I'm teaching a graduate class makes that less likely.

When are you back, Erica?

Marti said...

Moya you and I both seemed swamped with work!!! I am glad that you found the ibook. I can only imagine how much stress is involved with re-writing lectures.... if i see any mayle 8/10 (or 6 that's too big for me - so it would fit you) it is yours! plus you did get that FABULOUS jacket today! BTW - I thought Alison recieved the package I sent her and she hadn't she was confused. So I mailed a west coast package a week ago. It was supposed to take 3 days and so far its been 7.

Marti said...

oh and I have josephina - i had the hem completely taken down. NO HEM, and its still way too short. I havent worn it 1x. Maybe with tights but its such a summer dress

Unknown said...

What - what fabulous jacket? Moya - I wish you the best of luck with all of the work. It can be so tiring for your health as well. I work 14 hour days 3x/week (plus the 90 minute commute), and then 6 hour days (plus commute) and school - it is a nightmare and I wonder why I haven't been feeling well. So glad to hear that Tana fits and I can't wait to see photos.