Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Small Pleasures

I just finished my tax return (and have to go into teach in 40 minutes), so at least I'm digging a little more out of that hole I mentioned yesterday. I'm still way behind on emails and my chapter, but little by little I'm coming up for air.

It looks like I should get a return this year. In the past, I tended to use tax returns for big treats but this year, I'm feeling quite different. I've got a lot of clothes and most of them don't see the light of day (a big clean out will happen as I get to the end of the semester when I intend to post stuff here and on Community Closet Sale). Very little appeals to me right now but in a good way--I'm thrilled by the taste of good cheap Thai at Ayada, fresh fruit and vegetables, good fresh bread, salmon, pastries, etc. I'm happy to play with a fluffy cat while watching a good movie (or good bad film) recorded from TCM and thrill at the company of friends and family. For a little splurge, a manicure and pedicure or maybe an investment in a bottle of Chanel nail polish suffices. I'm happy that the little things give me so much pleasure right now. Maybe it's a bad year for clothing, maybe I just have too many things I don't wear and it's affecting the way I shop, but I'm secretly hoping this non-covetous state hangs around for many more months.

No comments: