Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Jeffrey Monteiro Sale

I meant to update on this earlier, but with the beginning of the semester, I've just been too swamped with work. I went to the sale Monday lunchtime--evidently it had been busy earlier, but it was quiet when I got there.

It was a small sale--all the stock was out, everything was neatly ordered by size (although I was told to check that the hanger and the garment were the same sizes). There were a few resort 09 dresses (about 8-10 in total), mainly in the same style, mostly in size 2 and 4, all for just over $300. The only size 8 was a navy gown--not exactly something I'd ever wear. The rack of fall 09 clothes was also heavy on the 2s and 4s. In the 8s (my size) there were some purple shirts (around $110), one slouch red dress ($195) and some purple coats ($295). There was also a dark purple dress that was supposed to be an 8 but seemed to fit like a 4. The biggest selection of 8s was in the older stock rack, which was where the real deals were--dresses for $80, tops for $50, coats for $100 (I think). Again, the 4s and smaller had the greatest range of bargains, but I did pretty well (I also pretty much cleaned out the dresses in size 8 and even got my most coveted JM dress in the 6, which surprisingly fit me perfectly). The sale had very little stock--I'd say in the range of maybe 100 items (or less), covering all sizes, so I did remarkably well considering only about 10 pieces were in my size.

These are my finds:



 

This dress is in cotton and fits me perfectly (much to my surprise). I thought it would be too narrow in the hips but it is just right. I love it and it makes me look so slim. It's also beautifully made--and, like all JM, made in the USA--which I love. I can't wait to wear this one out.



This one is possibly my favorite (although I love all three). I wanted it last year but I never found it in a size bigger than 4.  The fact that the 6 fits perfectly is an added bonus.



 

I got this dress in black. It drapes beautifully and has these amazing pockets. It has some nice detailing too--covered buttons and an embroidered ribbon trim. It was originally the most expensive of these dresses at $600 and it is really special.

So I did very well at this sale--like all good sample sales, I left with a few regrets. There was a jacket, blue trench coat and a little white silk shirt that weren't really in my sizes that I nearly went back for. I suppose that's the mark of a good sample sale--feeling that you did well but that there were pieces you shouldn't have left behind. That said, the stock was very limited--it was one of the smaller sample sales I'd been too. Had I been a 4, I'd have left a lot poorer. As it stands, I am very happy.

Also, looking at the clothes, I have a new respect for JM. Many are very well made. Sizes do vary and some pieces were not so flattering-the red slouch dress is a lovely color but it isn't the right cut for me. Overall, I found his sizing worked very well for my body--surprisingly well, better than most designers. I don't know if his future sales will be this cheap--I doubt it as this seemed to be mainly returned Steven Alan stock and true samples (his sample size is a 4, which doesn't work for me although a few of his outerwear pieces did fit me in the 4, hence some of my regrets). I liked a lot of what I saw, found his staff to be very nice and the sale was really well run too. Overall, one of the best sample sale experiences I've had--although nothing will rival the legendary Mayle sample sale from 2007. I have so many regrets about items I passed on from that sale (because I had already got a fair amount of pieces and didn't want to be greedy) that I wish I could go back in a time machine, revisit the sale and buy those dresses, shoes, tops and sweaters that I put back on the racks.

5 comments:

erica said...

the print dress was the one i saw at the SA outpost in a size 4. i'm glad you got that one, it's lovely. wish i could have been there for the sale, sounds like it was a decent one.

Marti said...

Print dress is GORGEOUS. I bet you will look stunning. Can't wait to see which one you picked up for me!

Moya said...

I got you the black one Marti--the third one pictured with the draped pockets. It's so lovely on.

Marti said...

ooh thank you!!! I love that one!!

Christina said...

such lovely dresses! I love the print dress with the blue straps.