Thursday, September 25, 2008

Trying to finish things up

So today was supposed to be an intensive day of writing, following my nine hours of Wednesday teaching. That was until I woke up with a slight temperature, slight aches in my limbs, sneezes, a slightly sore throat and the kind of foggy head that made me slightly unsure whether something was wrong or not. As I took my temperature I realized something was up--my temperature was 98.1 not (as expected) around 97.2. Because I sometimes think I have more control over the world than I really have, I took my temp again, and again, and as I watched it yo-yo from 97.2 to 98.2 via 97.6 and 97.7, I realized that the slightly sore throat last night was not from teaching and inhaled chalk (a usual Wednesday ailment) but a mild virus/infection of some kind, which screwed up both my temps and my work plans--at least for the morning. I am not going to let the day pass without putting in the required 4-6 hours of writing, although the 8-10 hour day I'd hoped for isn't going to happen. But then I am starting to realize that I have to stop striving for perfection.

So, I've had my third decaf of the day. The cats are snoozing, I've typed in a couple of pages of corrections and feel that the day won't be a total bust. I also got to see some adorable kittens at the local pet store/animal shelter. One cage had six babies--two tabbies, two gingers, two calicos. Another case had two torties and their black brother or sister. One of the torties hid at the back and I asked her to come forward--to my delight, she did just that.

Now I am praying that this mild infection thing will soon pass. I don't need my temps screwed up or to have anything mess up these next few precious days--because they are the most precious of days. I've had infections like this before and they haven't bothered me in the slightest (and they have passed quickly) but when a girl is monitoring her temperature every day, these things matter.

No comments: