Saturday, April 19, 2014

Black Apple

For years, I've wanted an Emily Martin/Black Apple original painting. Once I had my chance at a Brooklyn craft fair but rain was forecast and I didn't want to damage the painting. Plus, as lovely as it was, I really coveted one with a girl and a cat (any of her girl/cat combos) and this had a girl, boy and an umbrella. I wish I had pounced and got a cab home but hindsight is always best. Her work is increasingly had to find as she seems to have moved more in the direction of picture books and it always sold so quickly anyway that after a period when I'd go to her Etsy site and refresh until the store was updated only to find that the paintings sold before I could even see them, I just gave up and obsessed over other things. While some people were able to buy multiples, most fans like me couldn't get anything.

I bought my niece her first book (Oddfellow's Orphanage) and she loved it. Severin is way too young for it right now, but fortunately she has a new and beautiful picture book, Dream Animals. It arrived a few days ago in perfect time for Easter and I had to give it to him just a little earlier. It still may be a little too difficult for him, but it is so beautiful that I hope he'll cherish it forever.


Now I just have to save and hope that I can one day own an Emily Martin original painting. I imagine they cost a lot more now and are even harder to get.

No comments: