Sunday, December 13, 2009

Congratulations Jane and Kathie!

On Friday, two of my closest friends got married. I'd have been there except they can't get married where we live and they are currently in Germany for a year (my friend Jane is a Fulbright Distinguished Professor and was my senior colleague at my last job). As Germany allows gay marriage, and as they will benefit from this as that's their home for the year, the girls decided to make their partnership of 25 years legal. I'll see them in England in a week and celebrate with them, but for the moment, I wanted to mark the occasion with this posting.

Here are the girls at their civil ceremony:



And here is their wedding cake:


 
 
Evidently the cake tasted very good. Jane said it was amazing to have their relationship sanctioned and recognized. This was something she hadn't really thought about before, a feeling she'd never had, even though she was all for gay marriage. I'm so happy for them.

No comments: