Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Finally...

So, nearly seven weeks ago I interviewed for a job. A friend of a friend was on the search committee and told my friend that (and I quote) "Moya kicked butt from beginning to end." She raved about my diverse interests, energy, suitability for the post, etc. My friend said it was clear that I appeared to be the favored candidate. I got my hopes up and waited. Spring break came and I began to realize this was about the time they'd contact the successful candidate with an offer. But then my phone didn't ring so I'd check to make sure that it was working, which it was, and that the ringer was on--of course it was. Along with a couple of other events--the health insurance fiasco and having to pay over $2,000 in federal taxes, waiting to hear from the job ruined my break. I couldn't concentrate on my work and didn't feel like having fun. By the time it was over, I realized it was all but inevitable that they had offered the position to someone else and that person had accepted. I was angry that they had wasted my time, that the loose-tongued member of the search committee had spoken out, knowing her words would find their way back to me, and furious that yet again, I'd likely come a close second for a job. In a different, less tight job market, things may have been different. Asking around, my friends confirmed the difference between first and second is luck. Mine has clearly not been so good.

So, then the waiting game became surreal. People would ask if I'd heard yet, I'd say no. At this point, it was more a question of how rude could the college be? How thoughtless were these people who'd seemed so nice a few weeks earlier? What would the letter say when they finally rejected me?

Conventionally, most academic jobs in the humanities get 100-350 applications. Half or more can be dismissed as they come from candidates without the necessary qualifications (people who haven't yet finished Ph.D.s, people in the wrong discipline or specialty, even people who are too senior for that hire). But usually that still leaves 50-150 perfectly credentialed scholars, many of them better qualified than people working in the hiring departments. Perhaps 10 can be shortlisted and 2-3 interviewed so (speaking from my experience on the other side of the table), the situation looks a lot like American Idol where people are dismissed for all manner of reasons that have little to do with talent or performance (wrong song choice? read wrong dissertation choice, buried too deep in a show where 13 perform, read so early in the search we think an ideal candidate will come along).

Most places don't even bother to reject the people who don't make it to a shortlist (or even a long list of 40). Some will, but this comes very late--often seemingly an afterthought months after the hire was completed. For these, it seems email notes are acceptable.

Those who make the short list--supplying extra materials, getting a phone interview--usually get a letter. Often this is standardized but a little nicer. It doesn't say much more than we liked meeting you and it was tough to make a decision but we went in a different direction. Plus there will usually be a line about how the application pool was so highly qualified that even getting this far was an achievement. Getting these, most people squirm, maybe yell out something to the effect that if I was so great, why didn't you hire me? Then the letter is summarily torn, dropped into the recycling bin/bag/box and the reader briefly fumes, getting on with life and thinking about how annoying it is to have to go through all this again next year.

If you make it to the final 2 or 3 and get an on campus interview, things are different. The stakes are higher and this should be reflected in the post-interview communications. Usually, the lucky candidate gets a phone call. Some places also make a habit of calling the unfortunate runners up, a task chairs clearly hate but one that shows some respect for the person who just missed getting a job by a hair's breadth and goes home empty handed. Some places opt for a more customized (again) yet still somewhat standardized form letters. Generally, these include lines about how much the committee enjoyed meeting you, how very tough indeed the decision was, and how ultimately, much as they respected your scholarship, they chose to go elsewhere because of department needs.

Usually, these letters/calls are made within a month of the final interview, often far closer. Of course, the first and second runners up are kept waiting until everything is signed and cleared with the winning candidate in case there are problems and they need to go back to a fall back option (the only exception here is when the committee agree that somebody isn't suitable for some reason and they get a mercifully early rejection).

So, finally today I heard from the college. I received a form email rejection of the kind you send in a mass mailing to the candidates you didn't consider. This was after keeping me hanging for six weeks and five days in which I have gone through all manner of emotions, obsessing, calls to friends, and various stresses. I knew if I got this position, I would have had to resign from my full time but temporary line after all my classes had been filled. I didn't want to make things difficult for my current employer, but I needed to make sure I had a job, so I couldn't mention anything. This added to my guilt, but obviously I am pleased I didn't speak out. I am so angry with this school that rejected me right now and angrier still with the rudeness, obliviousness, selfishness and, yes, inability to communicate properly or act professionally that pervades so many academic search committees. Sure, I'd have been slumming had I been given that offer and accepted the post. But slumming is better than itinerant employment, especially when, as usual, higher education in the humanities is the first item cut in every state budget and faculty hiring freezes pervade private universities who still protect their often bloated higher administration.

Sorry about the rant. But getting this down makes me feel a little better.

25 comments:

Marti said...

Moya-
I understand what you are going through - I have a friend who is finishing her dissertation and had been teaching and dealing with alot of what you have been going through. Some of the place where she interviewed were just plain unprofessional. I am so sorry that you have to go through all this BS. I hate to be new agey but Mercury is in retrograde, and things will get better!!

Moya said...

Thanks, Marti. I hope retrograde Mercury changes soon--any idea when that will happen?

It's so infuriating--many of us are underemployed because of academic faddism, vanity and a bad economic climate (the equities boom really didn't lead to any hiring in the humanities). I hope your friend gets something next year.

At least I can put that school behind me and move on. NYU is so great and I'll just work hard and publish like crazy when I'm there next year and maybe get something as a result.

In the meantime, to cheer myself up, I ordered Tati from shopbop. Hopefully they'll actually have it in stock and it will fit...

joyce said...

hi moya.

i found myself nodding so much as i read your post; i must have looked like a bobble-head doll to anyone who walked by my door.

it's amazing how some SCs can behave. i've had my share of bad experiences. the worst was when one chair went to an online discussion forum and stated outright that he would step down if the administration made him hire a minority candidate. this was discovered by my adviser via google **after** i had been offered the job (i'm asian-american). i turned the position down for a variety of reasons, but i can't imagine what it would have been like if i had started to work there.

Moya said...

That's so gross, Joyce. I know racial profiling happens a lot in academia--usually pro-non white candidates, but then you wonder how many people will say the quotas are full and go back to hiring white men?

My field (Media/Film/Cinema Studies) is so obsessed with anything trendy that right now, they only seem to want digital and new media scholars, even though this is arguably a different field entirely and one where there are few candidates. So a few folks get all the offers and most of us scramble for what's left (usually interview slots for jobs we don't get).

I personally think our professional academic society should address this crisis but they are as instrumental as anybody in causing it (along with interventionist, would be hipster deans).

joyce said...

it was gross. and despite that my campus visit was almost 3 years ago, i vividly recall how the chair refused to even walk next to me or talk to me during the dinner! btw, his online post wasn't about me as an individual but "unqualified minorities" in general. i was happy to see that he was either ousted or stepped down as department chair the following year.

Moya said...

I'm surprised he wasn't fired. There's so much wrong with his behavior that he shouldn't be allowed to teach at all, let alone hire others.

I'm still licking my wounds. I have a good one year job but I am so tired of this process. The costs of sending out materials, the interfolio recs, the increasing irritation I detect when I ask my letter writers to update my file and the limited chances of getting work make me want to curl up in a ball and fantasize about doing nothing.

As I mentioned, I've been on both sides of this hiring process and there is nothing rational about it at all. You always feel (as I do at the end of American Idol) that the final candidates can't possibly have been the best from the pool (and I say this as a finalist myself).

A colleague elsewhere (in your field, Joyce) who is also a department chair summed up his thoughts on the emailed rejection: "Really sorry, Moya. This is, alas, classic academic behavior:
simultaneously cowardly and unprofessional. Fuck 'em."

Says it all, really.

Cindy said...

So discouraging! And you've got to wonder how this process fosters a collegial environment... It's so awful to be strung along for such a long time. I thought my partner had it bad, but his job search wasn't nearly as grueling as you describe.

Joyce, maybe that professor's comments were misconstrued? As in he wouldn't hire a minority because of a AA quota?

If that comment isn't taken out of context, that man is a bigot and should be pilloried by the learning institution. It is unacceptable for an academic, as a community leader and an individual responsible for the direction of future research, to have such despicably biased views. That goes against the credo of any decent university.

joyce said...

it really does. being on the market is like another full-time job -- and one that is more emotionally draining than most.

i do have a recent success story to share: a friend of mine who is a VAP went on the market this year (7th in a row), got a lot of interviews, was contacted for campus visits. those visits were canceled because of budget cuts. but then, miraculously, his first-choice school called to say they got funding back and wanted to see him. he went to give a talk and they hired him! tenure-track and everything!!

Cindy said...

Moya - sorry, forgot to mention, but you know how I feel. Good luck with your job search. There are better things waiting for you!

Moya said...

It is good to hear success stories. I'm on my fourth year of being on the market. One of those years I was so discouraged that I barely searched--instead I looked, unsuccessfully, for a post in academic administration. I thought it would pay the bills and use transferable skills, but alas, they aren't interested in employing academics for these posts!

It's emotionally destructive to send out large piles of letters and materials (and expensive), only to have most of them seemingly ignored. I often feel I may as well just set fire to my work and the money it costs to send materials out for all the good it does.

But then you get nearer jobs--phone interviews, MLA, requests for more materials. These only come from maybe one or two institutions, but you start to engage in this again. When you get on campus interviews, the job is so tantalizingly close that the rejection becomes all the more painful. I know I only had a 33% chance of this one (three finalists, one job) but I was given the kind of feedback that suggested I was in the running for an offer.

To go back and start again is so dispiriting. It's all I can do. But couple this with teaching, it takes up the time and emotional energy I should be using for publications. If I were wealthy, I'd take a year away from applying for anything other than ideal posts, use it to write and put myself in a better position for the next year. Of course, that may end up happening given the state of humanities hiring in this recession.

And, Joyce, what happened to you is beyond disgusting. It's illegal, discriminatory and has no place in the academy or elsewhere.

Moya said...

Thanks, Cindy! I do know how you feel.

I just sometimes feel like this crappy career has stolen my life and, like a bad boyfriend, has been abusive and taken disproportionate pleasure in making me feel worthless.

joyce said...

oh, that chair's comments were definitely anti-quota. but the way his phrasing made it sound like he believed all minorities were "unqualified."

he was/is tenured. a long-time member of the faculty. probably un-fireable.

Moya said...

Much as I support tenure in theory, it's idiots like that who make a good case for sporadic review. I've also seen a number of unqualified folks with tenure who would never get hired today (or get into Ph.D. programs) ambling merrily along, doing little teaching and no research. Meanwhile people like me scramble to keep active and in the field.

Of course, if they fired these guys, they'd never replace them.

Cindy said...

Joyce - that guy is a douche.

Moya, think positively, it may nevertheless still work out for you at that university - like Joyce says, someone on the committee may think of you for something else or encourage you to seek a lead when you least expect it. Is it pointless to call someone you feel comfortable with on the committee (or close to it) for their feedback (after you've licked your wounds for a bit, of course)? Like to find out if there is something that you could improve? It might be a good way to channel your frustration.

My partner got an offer at Berkeley (incredible math dept) despite being told in a rejection form letter a month earlier of a hiring freeze...

joyce said...

cindy, that's fantastic! i went to berkeley for both undergrad and grad (i also grew up around there). if you're unfamiliar with the bay area, drop me a line. i can give you insider info, if you want it.

Moya said...

Generally, you won't get any advice from a SC member (they can't speak in case you sue based on something they say). All they'll say is that someone else was a better fit, which may mean they offer a much needed class or that they just clicked with them over lunch or that they needed to make a hire who can also set up a PR internship.

This college isn't really that well connected--small, state liberal arts school (I'd never heard of it before), so I probably have more connections. My problem is I want to stay in the area and that puts me in competition with half my field. There's the issue of practically no jobs in humanities too. I know I interviewed well (and I could see I connected with the search committee at a personal level). Everything seemed to go so well that I left thinking an offer was definitely going to follow--something seemingly confirmed by the other search committee member's comments to my friend Sue (another academic).

I think the only answers are those I already know. I have to publish like crazy, finish my book and then hope something comes up. Publishing won't guarantee a job but it will swing the odds for some. I may also have to reinvent myself as a scholar in yet another area by doing some work on digital media, even though I really am a film/TV historian who is particularly known for my work on gender. I already know that those areas aren't currently hot, so it may be a long hard slog before I get anything.

Or I could luck out next year. Somehow, I doubt it given the state of the economy--I suspect there will be few, if any, jobs around.

joyce said...

stay in the game, moya. something will definitely work out soon. i'm convinced of it.

Moya said...

Thanks, Joyce. I am going to keep plugging away. I just wish I'd gotten a job this year as it never gets easier.

avalanche2020 said...

How frustrating! I understand what you are going through, Moya. I was in a similar situation last year (I'm not in academic field however) when I was considered one of the top candidates for a position competing with one other person. They gave me rave feedback and told me how great i was - I was so close! In the end they didn't hire anybody. Not because of budget issue, not because either of us wasn't qualified, but because "they wasn't able to come up with a decision in time" - What a waste of my time! But things happen for a reason. I took another job and it turns out to be a great opportunity as well, if not better. Think positively Moya, don't let them get to you! I'm sure better position that you love will open up. Ever thought about coming out to the West coast? :)

Cindy said...

Joyce - he's decided to take an offer in Europe (5-year fellowship with significantly higher pay in comparison to US post-docs, that is research-only). If you know anything about the Berkeley math arena, please let me know! We would both feel incredibly blessed to be in the bay area when we return.

Moya, sounds like you know all that you needed to know from your last lead. I hope that your luck turns the corner ASAP!

joyce said...

that's fantastic, cindy! best of luck to both of you. my sister recently got her MA in stats from berkeley and knows a lot about the math dept. (the programs share the same building). i'll ask her.

moya, i hope your day is off to a good start....

mel said...

moya - i'm sorry to hear about your experience. it sounds all too typical of the completely unprofessional customs SC seem to have taken on w/ the job crisis. they are nice to you until they decide they don't want you anymore.

i was partially on the job market too this year, and it was really rough. a large percentage of schools i had applied to withdrew their positions due to funding issues. i may or may not go again next year, depending on how emotionally strong i am in the fall. hopefully, the job market will be better next year.

i wish you luck too! i'm sure things will go better. and like you said, NYU is great and will look great on your resume. keep up the good work, and i'm sure you'll be rewarded!

cindy - my husband and i are in math too! berkeley has a phenomenal reputation, and is much better for postdocs/profs than for grad students. what institute/university in europe is your partner going to out of curiosity? i know most them because my husband is from there.

Cindy said...

Whoa! Melissa - I am not a mathematician like he is - I'm in public health (though I really, really wish I was gifted like all of you mathematicians). He's an algebraic geometrist working under Ludmil Katzarkov at the University of Vienna. He turned down the Berkeley post-doc only because we both agreed we'd like to have more world experience... but we both wish we could have been in the area.

mel said...

cindy - i've been to vienna (i tagged along on one of by husband's math conference's there, actually) and it is an incredible, beautiful, and romantic city! you will have a great time there, and the great thing about europe is that you're so close to so many other countries. you should watch "before sunrise" again to inspire you before you move.

public health is a great domain; i'm sure the work you're doing has tremendous impact in the real world (unlike that of mathematicians ;)

Moya said...

Or Film Studies for that matter!

I found out a little more about the hire--I can't really divulge in a public forum like this, but I wasn't wrong in thinking I was the first choice. Basically, I was going to get the job and somebody overruled the committee's choice (someone not on the search). It's beyond bad luck. At this point, I'm going to write like crazy this summer so this never happens again. I've been a close second for three jobs and the next time, I want to be the clear winner. That is, if there are any jobs--about 2/3rds of the searches in my field were canceled, including almost all the most prestigious ones.

Cindy, we're going to miss you so much when you leave...